Apprentice Mate (steersman) is an officer endorsement that allows the mariner to stand a watch on a towing vessel under the direct supervision of the Master or Mate of Towing vessel; meaning that this is a training position that leads to Mate (Pilot) of Towing.
The requirements for Apprentice Mate (steersman) are defined in 46CFR11.466 as 540-days of total sea service experience that includes 360-days on towing vessels and 90-days on the route requested. Routes include:
- Western Rivers, meaning the Mississippi River system.
- Inland, meaning all Inland waters except the Western Rivers.
- Great Lakes, meaning all the waters of the Great Lakes.
- Near Coastal, meaning ocean waters within 200 miles offshore, the Great Lakes and all Inland waters except the Western Rivers.
- Ocean, meaning all ocean waters, the Great Lakes and all Inland waters except the Western Rivers.