Master or OUPV?

Which captain license do you need, the Master or OUPV?

Operator of Uninspected Passenger Vessel (OUPV) is the most popular captain license held by fishing guides. This license allows the holder to carry up to 6-passengers for hire (AKA 6-pac captain license), not counting the crew and operator. The vessel may be operated on inland or near coastal waters depending on the route issued on the license. Learn more about the OUPV captain license >>>

Master 100-ton is issued with 25, 50, or 100-ton limitations, depending on the size of vessels that the mariner’s experience was on. This captain license has the full authority of the 6-pac, and the additional authority to operate inspected passenger vessel carrying more than 6-passengers. It is the most common captain license held by charter-boat captains, and the captains of small cruise ships, supply boats, ferries, and workboats less than 100 GRT. Learn more about the Master license >>>

We offer courses that will satisfy the USCG exam requirements for these captain licenses every two-weeks. Call (503) 841-6066 or visit for more information.


About Dennis

Instructor and Director at Columbia Pacific Maritime LLC
This entry was posted in Frequently Asked Questions, How to ....., School News, Scuttlebutt and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.