Position open: Engineer/Mechanic/Deckhand
Wild Alaska Cruises actively seeks an Engineer/Mechanic/Deckhand (EMD) with an appreciation for the natural world and a yearning to experience the true wilderness of Alaska’s Inside Passage. The successful candidate will receive:
- Excellent compensation and gratuities.
- Opportunity for season end Bonus’
- Double occupancy stateroom (shared), with TV, private bathroom and shower.
- Gourmet meals, snacks, uniform logo wear and laundry facilities provided.
- Seasonal employment – late April thru late September.
EMDs with Wild Alaska Cruises will possess the necessary skills to undertake a wide range of work on land and at sea, including cleaning, maintenance, repairs, communications, supply, seamanship, hospitality, and stores organization. Will be required to safely repair, maintain and operate equipment such as: diesel engines, generators, plumbing, 12v, 120v, 240v, single and 3 phase electrical systems, pumps, pressure washers, cranes, winches, lines, outboard motors, and hand tools. Maintenance and repair of systems associated with the vessels “hotel” or “living” quarters is essential. Basic carpentry skills and experience a plus.
EDMs work in all types of weather conditions and spend extended periods living aboard the vessel. Conditions can be cramped, and deck hands may be required to work odd hours. Shifts could be several hours of work, followed by time off, then several more hours of work.
The EMD may be required to perform the following tasks:
- Repair and maintain all vessel systems and onboard equipment, guide boats and skiffs.
- Communicate into, out of, and around ship, using VHF, cellular and satellite equipment.
- Stand watch while underway and at anchor.
- Provide hospitality services such as: rain gear assignment and baggage handling, for guests.
- Handle lines, buoys, anchors, poles, fish boxes, crab and shrimp pots.
- Assist with the cleaning and packaging of fish, crab, shrimp.
- Load, unload and stow supplies and equipment.
- Lift 100 lbs.
- Operate safely, outboard motors, electronics, guide boats and skiffs.
- Operate winches and other deck equipment.
- Assist captain and crew as needed.
- Scrub, clean and organize decks.
- Assist guests as they embark and disembark the vessel.
- Attend to various tasks as required by the captain in the operation of the vessel(s).
- Assist crew with refueling operations.
- Physical fitness and good health.
- Ability to pass a pre-employment drug test and periodic drug testing.
- Knowledge of safety procedures.
- Good hand-eye coordination.
- Good sense of balance.
- Ability and willingness to work as part of a team.
- Alertness and common sense.
- Enjoyment of practical work, working outdoors, and working with people.
- Friendly and courteous manner while interacting with guests and crew.
- Good communication skills.
- Good visualization skills with the ability to follow instructions.
- High level of customer service and customer relations skills.
- Willingness to spend time aboard ship away from home and for up to 6 months.
About Wild Alaska Cruises
Wild Alaska offers a unique opportunity for fishermen in search of a remote or wilderness experience. These weekly trips are best described as “Mother ship” excursions. They combine the mobility and comfort of an excursion motor yacht will all the tools and toys of a high end fishing lodge. All weather guide boats plus skiffs for self-guided adventures accompany the Mv Perseverance to the remote wilderness of Alaska’s Inside Passage. We provide serious fishing for the serious fisherman, plus the quiet relaxation and personal service of a private yacht. Experience the same great trip that Alaska outdoors travel expert Larry Csonka refers to as “the most unique sport fishing operation in Alaska”.
Wild Alaska Cruises employs well-groomed, professional Captains, Chefs, Guides and EMDs. We are currently looking for a skilled, physically fit, hardworking crew member (EDM) who understands the meaning of professionalism, hard work and customer service. Must appreciate and understand the importance maintaining a world class guest experience. Qualified candidates looking for long term seasonal employment for the upcoming season and beyond are what we are looking for.
The Ideal Candidate, in addition to the required skills,
- Must possess a positive attitude that is friendly, considerate and energetic.
- Work as an effective team member.
- Confident, with a genuine concern for the happiness and well-being of others.
- A strong work ethic & safety first attitude.
- Excellent presentation & communication skills.
- Punctual, with a neat and well-groomed appearance.
Wild Alaska Cruises Employee Experience
- Experience Alaska’s incredible inside passage while earning competitive wages.
- Learn new skills.
- Create memories and friendships that last a lifetime.
- Performance based bonuses are available to crew members.
Room & Board
A position with our company is dependent upon living onboard. Wild Alaska Cruises recognizes that housing in Alaska can be costly but these expenses won’t be a problem since Room & Board is included while living on board. It is important for everyone to be respectful of others living space. For this reason, guidelines are in place to help ensure our onboard experience can be enjoyed by all. Crew members are provided with the same 5 star cuisine served our guests.
We offer amazing opportunities for fishing, kayaking, boating, photography, and wildlife viewing. Summer in Alaska means working and playing hard. With extended hours of daylight, even after a full day of work there is always time for play. All day, every day, our employees are surrounded by breathtaking mountains, glaciers, deep fjords and flowing rivers. We encourage our employees to experience all that the Inside Passage has to offer, as well as, enjoy the benefits of being a part of Alaska’s tourism industry.
Live the Dream with Wild Alaska!
- Have you dreamed of working and living in Alaska?
- Are you resourceful, quick to learn, and hardworking?
- Are you driven to provide the best in customer service?
- Are you a team player who is eager to please and achieve?
- Are you a skilled professional who loves to work with your hands and the outdoors?
If you think you have what it takes to work and live with the best, reply to this ad.
Alaska experience preferred but not mandatory.
Learn more about Wild Alaska Cruises at: http://www.wildalaskacruises.com
Capt. Larry Larson
Wild Alaska Cruises and Sport fishing
907 723 1596