Sea Service Experience: What is it and how to document it.

There are many miss-conceptions about sea service experience; but here are the facts. Sea service experience is a measurement of your experience on vessels. It accumulates over your lifetime, and it never expires, and is not “used up” when you apply for a Merchant Mariner Credential endorsement. There is no minimum size that a vessel must be for it count, BUT you must be able to document it for it to count.

Must of us will use Coast Guard Form 719S, Small Vessel Sea Service Form, to document our sea service experience. Use one form for each vessel you wish to document your sea service experience on. Read the instructions on the form and complete it exactly as per the instructions. have the owner, operator, or person in charge of the vessel sign the form, OR provide proof of ownership when documenting experience on vessels owned by the applicant. Proof of ownership is a copy of either the state registration or the Certificate of Documentation (COD) issued by the US Coast Guard.




About Dennis

Instructor and Director at Columbia Pacific Maritime LLC
This entry was posted in Frequently Asked Questions, How to ....., School News and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.