OUPV or Master; which is right for you?

The Master is a bigger license than the OUPV and most schools will tell you to get the biggest license you can; I say get the license you need for the job and you can upgrade to the bigger license when and if you need it. The license that is right for you depends on three factors; the type of vessel you are operating, the size of the vessel, and how many passengers are you carrying. If you are operating a small (less than about 65 feet) uninspected passenger vessel carrying six or fewer passengers than all you need is the OUPV license. If you are operating an inspected vessel carry cargo, supplies, or more than six passenger than you need a Master license. That is about all there is to it.


About Dennis

Instructor and Director at Columbia Pacific Maritime LLC
This entry was posted in Scuttlebutt. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s