Merchant Mariner Credential deck officer endorsements are issued as Master, Mate, and Operator of Uninspected Passenger Vessel (OUPV). Master and Mate licenses are issued in tonnage categories as Unlimited, 1600 GRT (Gross Registered Tons), 500 GRT, 200 GRT, and 100 GRT. Tonnage limitations of less that 200 tons are issued in 50 ton increments as explained in 46 CFR 11.422 >>
- If all your qualifying experience was on state registered vessels less than 5 GRT you will receive a 25 GRT limitation.
- If any of your qualifying experience was on a documented vessel you will received a 50 GRT limitation.
- To receive a 100 GRT limitation you will need either 25% experience on vessels over 50 tons, OR 50% of your experience on vessel over 34 tons.
- The tonnage limitation my be raised from 25 to 50 without testing by either gaining any experience on a documented vessel OR documenting 180 days of experience on any size vessel while holding the license.
- The tonnage limitation may be raised from 50 to 100 without testing by either documenting 90 days of experience on vessels over 50 tons OR 180 days of experience on vessels over 25 tons.