The following terms relate to Merchant Mariner Credential (MMC) endorsement upgrades.
- “Raise in grade” means an increase in the authority of the endorsement; such as going from Master 25 to Master 50 tons.
- “Increase in scope” means an increase in the route on the endorsement; such as going from Inland to Near Coastal.
To upgrade an endorsement the mariner needs to meet all the sea service requirements stated in 46 CFR Part 11 for the new endorsement. Most of these upgrade require passing exams or completion of an approved course, but there are several MMC upgrades for deck endorsements that do not require exams. The following upgrades for deck officer endorsements are based on qualifying sea service experience alone:
- Raise in grade of Mate 200 tons or less to Master without changing the tonnage limitation or the route.
- Raise in grade of Mate or Master from 25 to 50; or 50 to 100 without changing the route.
- Raise in grade of Mate or Master from 150 to 200 without changing the route.
- Raise in grade of Apprentice Mate (steersman) to Mate (Pilot) of Towing requires completion of an approved Radar Observer course (if not already completed) and completion of the Towing Officer Assessment Record (TOAR).
- Raise in grade of Mate (Pilot) to Master of Towing.
- Raise in grade of the tonnage limitation of Mate or Master of Fishing without changing the route.